The bells were restored in July and August 2011 by Gillett and Johnston of Croydon, where they were made in 1925.
The six smallest bells were lowered to the belfry floor, and the four largest lowered just to a scaffolding platform placed underneath.
Each bell was cleaned by hand and re-enameled. They were fitted with new bolts and insulaters. The clappers were taken to the workshop to be cleaned and repainted, and the hand clavier likewise was fully restored at the workshop. The bell frame was painted and the mechanism re-assembled with new wires, making the bells easy to play.
A photographic record of the restoration is in the photo gallery.
We are very grateful for funding to carry out this work from Heritage Lottery Fund, the Pilgrim Trust, War Memorials Trust, the Sharpe Trust, Heritage of London Trust and the Essex branch of the Western Front Association, as well as many individuals.